A very similar beer to #3 with the addition of a little lactose and flour. Flour because I wanted to experiment with it and lactose because I need to find some use for it outside of stouts.
- Maris otter Malt 1kg
- Quick oats 150g
- 50g lactose
- 50g flour
- Half packet of US-05 Yeast
- Citra hops 10g
- Cascade hops 10g
- Mash at 70C for 1 hour
- Batch sparge with water 70-75C
- Citra hops 5g @ flameout
- Citra hops 5g dry hop
- Cascade hops 5g dry hop
- Cascade hops 5g @ 50 minutes
- Mixed the flour in with the oats before giving it a quick microwave. Seemed to cause the oats to clump a little bit when added to the mash
- Tried a new method of squeezing the bag by putting it in a colander and pushing down with a bowl. Much less messy but not sure if it gets the same efficiency as using my hands.
- Put the lactose in with about 20 minutes left on the boil
- Gravity came in at lower than 3 despite the addition of more ingredients
- Final reading of 8 brix
- Smells and tastes pretty good
Tasting 6.5/10 /10
A little over carbonated with no head retention but still a tasty drop. Fairly easy drinking with just a mild hop flavour. Has a sweet finish that takes away the bitterness.
- 01-07-2016 17:00 Was about to bottle when I realised I hadn’t even done a dry hop yet. Added 5g citra with the plan of bottling on monday